Monday 16 July 2012

Sequel to Rough Cut in Progress


Well, it's been two months since I last blogged! But now that I am a member of Triberr, my performance will improve, I promise!

So, what to say? Well, I'm happy to report that my new novel, a follow up to Rough Cut called CUTTING EDGE, is well under way with more than 15,000 words having been written so far.

My target is to get this book finished and out there by Christmas, which may be possible for the Kindle version but probably not for the paperback. 

I did wonder wether it was worth bothering with the paperback this time given that with Rough Cut, I've only managed to make a small profit after costs with the paperback, and that has involved doing over 30 book signings with Waterstones! Don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed doing the book signings so I will probably go down the same route again with Cutting Edge, assuming Waterstones are up for it, but it's the Kindle version which has delivered a significant return on the time and effort I put into writing Rough Cut. Not that it's all about money, far from it, but you do like to know that your book is being well received and as widely read as possible. After all, if no one is going to read it, why bother to write it? And so far, including paperbacks and both free and paid for Kindles, nearly 14,000 readers now have a copy of Rough Cut. 

OK, time to get back to Cutting Edge! :-)

4 comments:

  1. Keep at it Owen. I'm 55,000 words in to my next Dundee crime book and am flagging. I know where I'm going but struggling to get there. Too much time off on the talking circuit, I reckon. I've lost the plot!!! As a matter of interest who do you get to publish your paperbacks, because I'm thinking about it for my Kindle books? Good luck with the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so important to make yourself sit down and write isn't it? I find that even when I'm not in the mood, once I sit and start writing I very quickly get into the flow of it and can't stop! Regarding paperbacks, I've used two publishers, New Generation and Matador. If you would like some detail on how I've got on with them, PM me at owen@careyfilms.com and i'll fill you in. Suffice it to say, I have learned a bit about what I do and don't need from them. I hope you soon find yourself inspired to keep going and finish the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a look at both on the internet and think I'll stick with my original ideas. I was thinking maybe CreateSpace, although someone in one of my other groups recommended FeedaRead. Got to give it some more thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your second book will be so much easier (so I'm told) - my learning curve was horrendous with book 1.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete